Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Productivity explosion

One of the aspects of my job that I struggle with is the nature of my responsibilities. Unlike my last job, where my work would build up to a big event - that I could clearly measure my success on - several times a year, in this job my work is very methodical. The pace is very consistent. There isn't that big reveal that is waiting just around the corner, poised to show how good (or not) you are at your job.

It hasn't been an easy transition. Because I lack the showcase events, I feel less productive than I really am. I don't often have blockbuster days. The kind of days that are so productive that you want to do a song and dance about your mastery of your responsibilities.

Today, though, today was one of those days. Those very, very rare days here in libraryland.

It. Felt. Awesome.

I knocked every task I touched right of the park. My to-do list was cowering at the sight of me. There wasn't anything that I couldn't finish quickly, effectively, brilliantly.

I needed today.

It's been months since I felt truly awesome at my job.

Just for fun, I packed up the productivity and brought it home. Frames that I have been meaning to hang for the last year? Hung. Ceiling fan in dire need of a dusting? Dusted. Clean sheets? Sure. 6 mile run? Of course.

I'm rewarding myself by not setting my alarm to go off until 8 tomorrow morning.

And maybe with an extra shot of espresso in my usual Wednesday-morning-with-Lucy-and-Baby-A latte. Because I have a feeling that I'm going to need it.

0 comments:

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio