Friday, October 14, 2011

So Midwestern, So in the Kitchen: August & September

This resolution, this resolution to make one big meal every week? August and September were rough. I blame The Coach.

But I wasn't completely out of the kitchen.

(Whether or not I was crying in the kitchen is another question entirely.)

So I might as well show you what I managed to cook.

Via some really, really awful pictures. Oh well.



Left - Broccoli, Tomato and Mozzarella Stromboli...that I made into calzones. When Meg and Mom were in California, I made these up for me and Dad. For some reason (and that reason is my lack of skill with dough of any kind) they morphed from stromboli to calzones. Whatev. Tasty? Yes. Beautiful. Nope. I found the recipe via the Everyday Food app I have on my iPhone. Plugged in a few things that were in the refrigerator and picked a recipe from a list. Technology is cool.

Middle - Coconut Rice with Mango: Not exactly mango sticky rice, but it tasted awfully good during a time when not much did.

Right - Baby Breakfast Quiches: I found this recipe on Pinterest and decided to go with it because I was really, really sick of what I was making for breakfast. (This happens to me sometimes.) These just are not beautiful little buggers, so I didn't even bother with a picture. (Sorry, person I stole the picture from.) They were pretty decent: I like a really high protein, easy breakfast and these fit the bill.



Left - Linguine with Tapenade, Tomatoes, and Arugula: wasn't awesome. Partially because I made it in a robotic daze after The Coach left. Partially because I used whole wheat noodles and they were just sort of clumpy and blah. It just was not all that fantastic. I expected more, as I always do from Everyday Food recipes.

Middle - Cupcakes: I threw these together in an hour before going over to Liz's house one night. Nothing special, really, except that, after frosting in buttercream, I dumped them into some colored sugar on hand and they looked sparkly. Here's a way to make a cupcake more appealing: make it purple and also sparkly.

Right - Coconut Chicken: another recipe I stumbled across on Pinterest. The picture sold me. Also the simplicity of the recipe. So, so easy. Quite delicious. I didn't make the dipping sauce; I cheated and got something suitable from the grocery store and it made me right happy and took practically no work which made me right happier. Then, I had ingredients left over and shrimp in my freezer so I made coconut shrimp one night, too. Equally as delicious.

And that, friends, is the story on my post-departure adventures in the kitchen.

I've been a cooking fool this month - and I'm trying to empty out my pantry via stuffing my face. There is definitely more to come.

1 comments:

Mrs. Architect said...

Mmm! Now I'm hungry! This post just inspired me to get back in the kitchen!

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio