Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A career

At 3:32 pm, I received a text message from The Coach. Who never texts me during the day. Asking me what was going on at work. He never asks me about work.

I took it as a sign.

And I took a deep breath and I went straight to my boss and I resigned.

And then I left his office and turn the corner and there were my two closest work friends. I immediately burst into tears.

And then I replied to The Coach and told him what I had just done. He was proud.

The last 36 hours have been overwhelming.

I'm so ready - past ready - to leave this job and I'm so excited about my new one and, at the same time, this is all really scary. I've never had a full time job anywhere else. I haven't done this before and, while I do not for even one second doubt that this is the right thing do to, it freaks me out. It scares the hell out of me.

The most wonderful and unexpected thing said to me was from my work nemesis. "Congratulations," he told me, speaking in a voice that made me really believe that he meant it. "Now you can join the rest of us working stiffs."

"Do you think that what I've been doing here for the last six wasn't work?"

"This was a job for you, not a career."

A career. He said it like it was something big, something important, something substantial. Like it was a fresh beginning and a clean slate and the chance to prove myself.

And it is. Which is exactly why I am so overwhelmed. And so scared. And so ready.

4 comments:

Thisisme said...

YEAH! Career!! I can't wait to hear all about the new place!

Accidentally Me said...

Why are you not spending more time on gChat?!?!? Seriously, they can't fire you anymore!!!

doahleigh said...

This is so very exciting. I think you've got all your readers emotionally involved in your search for a career, and we're so happy for you!

Kari said...

This is perfect for you. You can totally handle it. Did you give notice at your other 'brary job?
The two weeks will fly by...

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio