Thursday, June 18, 2009

Sign of the times

Last week, and into this week, marks the first time that I’ve been scared that I’m on the verge of losing my job.

Nothing performance related. Just the fear of Tough Decisions. My office is right outside the conference room – where the president, the controller, the head of HR and my boss, the VP, have been meeting. Frequently. I can’t hear everything, but I can hear enough. Enough to make me worry.

Part of me (the arrogant part, no doubt) thinks that I have nothing to worry about. That I work closely enough with the decision makers that they couldn’t see cutting my job. Because they’d have to pick up the slack.

Part of me (the easily frightened part, for sure) thinks that maybe I’ll be let go. That maybe all of my work will be pushed onto the president’s very passive, workhorse of an assistant. Because they know that she will not and cannot say no. She’s a smart, sweet girl. There’s no way that the president would get rid of her.

I’m mentally preparing myself to be laid off. Maybe that’s a little dramatic. But I’m a little dramatic. But there was never anything wrong with a little preparation. ...and getting my personal belongings out of my desk and off of my computer.

I don’t want it to happen. I will be a mess if it happens. This blog will become a mess if it happens. (You think that I was an obnoxious mess about The Groomsman? This will be exponentially worse.)

So I guess I’ll just sit here and bite my nails until something happens. Or until something doesn’t.

2 comments:

allimarie said...

Um, I think I could have written this exact post a couple weeks ago.

Except I didn't clean out my office. Maybe I should.

Anonymous said...

Speaking of groomsman...what's up with him??

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio