Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Work friend to friend friend

I a rare display of cynicism, my dad once told me that I would learn, one day, about work friends. You think that they're your friends. And then you stop working together. And stop staying in touch.

My mom chided him.

He warned me.

Still, I barely speak with Kevin -- who I interned with four years ago.

Nor do I do a good job of keeping in touch with the other Kevin -- who my former boss fired for no particular reason 2.5 years ago.

My dad was right and I hate that.

You spend every day with someone. In those 40 hours, there is a lot of time to get familiar. To become buddies. To develop a solid, legitimate relationship.

And then you don't see each other every day.

And then your weekly phone calls turn to monthly.

And, eventually, you're only friends on Facebook.

You don't think it can happen. You turn around and it has.

I'm scared it will happen with Ashley. Ashley, my sweet and awesome work friend. Who is too similar to me for her own good. Who calls me on my lame excuses. Who pushes me. Who cheers me on.

Ashley's last day is in just over a week.

I don't want to be only her Facebook friend.

0 comments:

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio