Tuesday, May 05, 2009

3.96

My last grades were posted today.

As a result, my GPA on my transcript reads the following: 3.96.

I was a really, really average undergraduate student. I did what I had to do, but not much above and beyond that. I can’t remember many times when I put my all into actually studying for something. I always showed up to class. I always did my assignments – and always did them on time. But I wasn’t anything special. I finished with a GPA in the 3.3 range, which is fairly decent considering the school that I attended, the unspectacular nature of my work and how screwed up I was during my entire undergraduate career.

I don’t recall having any expectations for my performance in graduate school. I know that I didn’t go in thinking that I would come out with a 3.96 GPA. I didn’t think that there was any possibility that I would fail out, either.

To be honest, I’ve surprised myself a bit. I showed mettle that I didn’t have as an undergraduate student.

And to be doubly honest, my program wasn’t all that hard. I feel that the circumstances under which I finished – with my GPA, working full-time, taking up to three classes at once – makes this an accomplishment.

“It isn’t a real master’s,” I told my mom over the weekend.

I am not entirely convinced that the fact that I finished the degree is all that amazing. There were some pretty stupid people in my classes. They’ll graduate eventually, too. My program is a huge proponent of grade inflation, so I wouldn’t be all that surprised if some of them finish with GPAs close to mine, too.

Isn’t that ridiculous? Aren’t I ridiculous? Simultaneously thrilled that I’m finished and not that impressed with the accomplishment.

I don’t know where I got these foolishly high expectations from.

4 comments:

togethertheycome said...

What do you mean, "not a masters"? I think that is really awesome that you finished so quickly and worked full time. Something to be very proud of!!

OC said...

WOW! That's awesome. I'm very impressed. I know how hard it is to work full time, be active in sports and take multiple classes at once... and I am very impressed that you did so well. You should be proud!

my life is brilliant said...

I felt the same way about my bachelor's degree -- like maybe I managed to cheat the system and no one noticed!

Kudos to you, though! You did a LOT of things in addition to school. You totally earned it, even if you don't believe it.

shayna said...

If it makes you feel better, I feel almost exactly the same - didn't put enough into my Bachelor's; occasionally shocked that I have a Master's and yet, I know so few things. I'm working on my PhD, and still feel sort of... eh... about it a lot of the time. But it is a serious accomplishment. Just let it sink in a bit.

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio