Thursday, March 05, 2009

Under grandpa's watchful eye

The summer before fifth grade, we moved.

It was really traumatic for me. There was the whole making new friends issue to stress about. And we were moving from a two-story house into a ranch and that seemed like a major downgrade. Apparently those things matter when you're in fifth grade. And apparently I never noticed the lake at the bottom of the hill.

My parents had always wanted to raise us on a lake. And they'd always wanted to raise us near our grandparents. Mom and Dad went to high school together - our grandparents lived just a few miles apart.

We were minutes from our grandparents. It was really awesome. The time that there was a mouse in the mousetrap that we were too scared to get out? Grandma came over and rescued us. When we needed a ride to soccer practice? Grandma drove us. They could just stop in - maybe to drop something off or perhaps just to say hello - and it didn't require them to drive 40 minutes out of the way in order to do so.

I'm not sure that even my parents realize what a great choice it really was.

I realize it often.

I realized it this week. I'm staying at Mom and Dad's, with Blue, because they're on vacation. I dropped Blue off on Tuesday morning. I picked her up on Wednesday night. It wasn't fair to leave the girl at home alone for two straight days. Grandma and Grandpa were happy to help. And I got hugs and kisses when I dropped her off. And I got hugs and kisses and reports on how often she pooped when I picked her up.

When I got to their house last night - nearly 11:00 pm - I was an exhausted wreck. And I looked the part. "You haven't had any dinner, have you?" Grandma asked. She bustled about the kitchen, pulling together food for me two bring home. Two different cupcakes. Three blueberry muffins. Bread. Fruit salad. Individual meatloaves she made in muffin tins. A pear. Chicken noodle soup. Tucked into a bag for me to take home. I was very grateful.

When Blue and I were ready to leave, Grandpa met us at the door. I gave him a hug and a kiss. I thanked him again for watching his furry granddaughter. We went into the driveway and out to my car. He stood on the front porch.

He does that. Stands on the front porch and watches you go. Ever since I was old enough to notice it I knew to love it. He stands under the porch light, hands in his pockets, and you feel loved.

Not much different than how you feel carrying a heavy bag of food from grandma.

4 comments:

Accidentally Me said...

This made me cry:-)

togethertheycome said...

Those are the things in life that are awesome and I feel sorry for people who don't take the time to notice stuff like that.

Anonymous said...

Beautifully Stated!

my life is brilliant said...

I love this! It made me tear up, and it made me miss my grandparents. I talked to them last week, but I might have to call them again!

I really think you should print this out on some pretty stationery or something, frame it, and give it to them. It would make such a great gift. I bet they'd LOVE it.

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio