Monday, October 30, 2006

I prefer writing happy tales

Thursday was just...disaster.

It started out with a few contractors doing work at my apartment who made the late start on my workday (I go in at 11 on Thursdays) even later (I didn’t get in until 12:30 pm).

My coworker Kevin, the man who infamously was accused by my boss, our one-person H.R. department and the company president’s mom of sleeping with me, came in around 2:00 pm.

By 2:30, he had been fired.

He took it really well. He packed up and bowed out graciously. No ranting and raving, no purposely leaving a mess at his desk. A quiet exit that was, of course, much more respectable than his firing.

My boss and our one-person H.R. department pulled him into an office under the guise that he’d be getting his quarterly review.

"We’re not here for your review, Kevin. We’re here to terminate you."

They wouldn’t give him a reason.

Any normal person is going to want to know why they’re fired, assholes. Make something up about how you think it’s time for a change and that this was a difficult decision but one that will be best for the company! Give him some fucking closure. Exhibit the smallest bit of courtesy.

They put two documents in front of him. Sign this one and you resign and get two weeks of severance pay. Sign that one to acknowledge that you’re terminated.

Kevin signed the termination paper, giving himself a shred of a chance of collecting unemployment.

My company, the kings of stingy assholes, are notorious for fighting unemployment claims.

Which is such incredible bullshit.

Give him the unemployment he deserves. Don’t kick him in the balls on his way out.

Like I said, stingy assholes.

Finding out that Kevin had been fired was a shock. His termination came with no warning. There were no signs. He hasn’t been in trouble. He wasn’t doing anything differently than he’d been doing it for the last year and a half he’d worked in this building.

When I found out that Kevin was fired, I was all "I am so out of here."

I was anticipating the glory that would be giving my boss my two weeks notice so soon after she canned Kevin. Our office is very small, losing two full-time employees in such a short period of time would really, really fuck things up.

Sometime that evening, I checked the voicemail on my cell phone. A call from the company I’d interviewed for. Hmmm. I snuck out to my car to return their call.

Listening to the message for the second time, I didn’t have a good feeling. There was a hint of doom in the recruiter’s voice.

Gloom, indeed.

The recruiter let me down easy and then continued to babble on about "early stages" of hiring at that office and "if my heart was really set" on their company and all sorts of crap. I barely heard her. I also barely kept myself from telling her where to shove her inspirational speech.

I went back into the building.
And back to my desk.
Humiliation hung on me every step of the way.

But I didn’t cry until I called my parents.

I sobbed. My shoulders shook. I was irrational and stubborn and entirely distraught.

It was too much for one day.

Just thinking about working here – even if it’s only for six more months – drains me from any will to live. Working here without Kevin, who was an oasis in the desert that is this company, multiplies my hatred of this place tenfold.

I don’t know what to do.

I don’t even know where to look.

The economy here is so, so incredibly bad. And getting worse.

I feel like I’m drowning.

2 comments:

Amy said...

First of all, a rational response: Kevin should fight this. You cannot fire an employee without proper processes and he should fight it. Seriously. If nothing else, he should consult with an attorney.

Secondly, my emotional response...OH MY LORD!!! that is too much on one plate. Your job sucks and it's where you spend most of your time and that will influence so much of your life. But you're doing the right thing. You're actively looking for something else and you're not quitting without another job (as good as that might feel, it'll suck when it comes time to pay the bills or explain the space on your resume.) Hang in there. When you get a decent offer, consider not giving a full two weeks at your current position. That's something I don't think they deserve and won't be detrimental to you at all.

Dazed said...

I dont know what it is about job hunting, etc...but it seems like just when you think you hit the bottom things start looking up again...has happened to me...twice.
Meanwhile, its still a job, and its just a job, and a paycheck...you can always give it a spin that way?
SORRY GIRL!!!

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio