Monday, January 24, 2005

Professional, yet unpaid, lackey

I was always open to the idea of interning away my first year after college. Because my parents started me in school a year early and I graduated from college in four years, I felt that they owned me the option of an extra year of food, shelter and monetary support if I so desired.

And while I’m not sure that I so desired, I took advantage of Mom and Dad’s generosity and shackled myself to my internship without making a concerted effort at finding an employer willing to fork over a salary to abuse me.

Instead of being abused for pennies on the hour. Which, by the way, my boss tells me is what an internship is all about.

A mistake of colossal proportions.

I took my internship to avoid a soul crushing, rejection rich job search. And now I spend every soul crushing, rejection rich workday feeling like I’m stuck in a pair of leather pants that are five sizes too small.

Yes. My internship is crushing my internal organs.

Along with my self-esteem, my IQ, my good judgment and my personality.

I’ve started looking for jobs.

And I’ve started to remember why I took an internship that would delay the search for a real job.

I am simply uninterested in baring my soul for The Man, all The Man’s horses and all The Man’s Men only to be spit on, rejected and thrown into the rejection pile. And it’s not that I don’t want to work – it’s that I don’t know where I want to work or what I want to do for work.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is the major fucking problem with life after college.

I would be so much better off if this Life as Grownup shit came with required coursework and a few syllabi.

It's true. Yet painfully cliché.

2 comments:

Plantation said...

Normally, I'm out here trying to encourage you. But brace yourself, it's gonna get worse. Life sux when you get rejected or ignored. Both corporate specialties so gear up, m'dear.

Amanda said...

I'm still picturing a midwestern iceskater in leather pants five sizes too small....

Welcome to the grown up world. It's completely overrated!

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio