Monday, December 06, 2004

Playing the accomplice

There is nothing quite like the feeling of aiding a 50-year-old woman in stalking a 20-year-old, homosexual man.

It’s what I spent Friday doing.

And, no, I’m not proud of it.

The back-story in 30 seconds or less: I met Christine, 50, at a skating competition two years ago. She was nice enough but seemed slightly too fanatical (ex. taking the Starbucks cup Alexei Yagudin left behind as a souvenir) about her favorite skaters. I left the competition thinking that she was a nut. And we’ve intermittently exchanged emails, mostly about skating, since then.

Cut to October: Christine calls me. She’s thinking about coming to the skating competition here at the beginning of December! I tell her that I think it’s a waste of money; it’s only a one-night competition and the skating is never very good. She tells me that she’s coming anyway.

Cut to November: Tell Christine, via email, that she can’t stay at my house. I invent a strange excuse instead of telling her why I really don’t want her at my house. The real reason is, of course, that it would be reallyfuckingsuper strange. And that I would rather not spend every hour of every day of a four-day trip with her. In aforementioned email, I type the following sentence: “we're going to have to put you up in a hotel.”
Translation: “how about you and I put our heads together and find a hotel that is in a good location?”
Definitely does not translate to: “I’m paying for your hotel room!”
And yet I do.

Cut to this weekend: I become Christine’s personal chauffeur. I pick her up at the airport on Thursday night, take her to dinner, bring her to the hotel. The hotel that I’m paying for even though she’s an adult professional and I’m an out-of-college-for-six-months intern.

On Friday, I want to go shopping; Christine wants to go to the skaters’ hotel. Do I know where the skaters are staying? No. Does she? No.

We go to the arena where the competition was to be held. I stayed in the car, she “investigates.”

Stalks, more like.

Whatever. Somehow, Christine figures out where the skaters are staying. We go there, grab lunch at a nearby restaurant and when we’re through, I drop her off at the hotel.

She spends a few hours there, talks to her most favorite skater and is then audacious enough to stay at the hotel so she can talk to the poor kid again when he comes downstairs to leave for the competition. Why do people not know when enough is enough?

The rest of the weekend with Christine was’t much better. After I got roped into paying for her hotel room, after her insistence that we stalk, I really wanted nothing to do with her. But she was here and I am spineless, so we spent Saturday together. I was miserable, but I don’t think that she noticed. On Sunday, I drove her to the airport.

This mistake will not be one that I make again.

I’m too good at letting people walk all over me.

I’m too inexperienced at saying no.

No is what I needed in October. No is what I needed in the hotel room mix-up. No is what I needed when Christine put me in the uncomfortable situation of delivering her to harass a gay kid who happens to skate well.

But did I use it, even once, with her?

No.

3 comments:

Harmony said...

Learn from your mistakes...and never ever forget!

Next time...you'll say no, won't you?

A said...

Not forgetting is key. I tend to downgrade my pain when its in the past. Please point me to this blog entry when I'm about to do something so insanely stupid again.

Plantation said...

I’m too inexperienced at saying no.

No is what I needed in October. No is what I needed in the hotel room mix-up. No is what I needed when Christine put me in the uncomfortable situation of delivering her to harass a gay kid who happens to skate well.

Agree with Krista.

You *were* inexperienced. I think you have enough now. Learn from it.

Say, I happen to be flying in to 'Midwest' town today. Sorry to be a bother, girl, but can you pick me up at the airport? Whaddya say?

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio